The science department is on an exciting journey of improving academic performance within an engaging and inclusive environment. The department is well resourced with a wealth of opportunities to incorporate the use of ICT. There are 11 dedicated science laboratories, all with interactive whiteboards. There is a large well stocked prep room and two technicians who work hard to ensure that practical and investigative work is at the heart of our courses.
There are 15 staff (including two technicians) delivering across the age range 11-16. The department has strong links with Bradford University and this enables the science department to prepare students well for the future.
Vision statement / intent
The Buttershaw science department is committed to providing a high-quality science education, setting the foundations for understanding the world through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics.
It is our intention to have a curriculum that aspires to develop a love for science and passion for scientific knowledge as well as students who are skilled critical thinkers, problem solvers, innovators and team players. We will develop the minds of life-long learners by providing access to a variety of course offerings that will support the creativity and curiosity of all students.
Our curriculum allows for ideas to be explored, theories to be evaluated and arguments to be built whilst considering what impact this has on our lives. Each year, we build upon the learning and skill development of the previous years by testing knowledge and skills regularly and providing extra support where needed. This allows for learners to become more confident in their answers as well as more proficient in selecting equipment or collating results from practical investigations based on previous experiences. We do this because we know our students are then equipped with a broad range of skills which are transferable to the workplace.
At the conclusion of their school career, our students will be capable of applying their scientific knowledge to contemporary issues, making connections between scientific disciplines, and pursuing post-secondary education or careers in the fields of science and engineering. We will empower them to fulfil their duty as citizens and help them feel more confident in the decisions they may need to make about family, health issues (e.g. obesity, smoking, cancer treatments), moral issues (e.g. genetic modification), nutrition or their local and wider environmental concerns (e.g. nuclear and fossil fuels, global warming).
Extra Curricular Activities
- We run a STEM science club
- After school revision classes are held throughout the year and intensively close to major exams
- We have taken pupils on residential visits, for example the North Yorkshire field study residential and university taster courses
- Mr M Akeel – Achievement Leader of Science
- Miss A Ahmed – Teacher of Science
- Mr A Aslam – Progress Leader
- Miss Jo-anne Atkinson- Progress Leader
- Mr M Bownass – Assistant Head Teacher
- Mr M Coleman- Deputy Head Teacher for Behaviour
- Mr H Farooq- Progress Leader
- Mr T Hanna- Teacher of Science
- Mr A Hussain – Progress Leader/ STEM Academy Leader
- Mr M Hussain – Assistant Head Teacher
- Mr J Ravat- Progress Leader
- Mr J Ryan – Assistant Head Teacher/Director of CE:ET
- Mrs S Zaccardelli – Achievement Leader (Year 10)
- Mr L Kay – Senior Science Technician
- Mr F Akubat – Science Technician
Mr M Akeel
Achievement Leader of Science
- Information on current specifications being studied in respective year groups
AQA trilogy in our Year 10 and 11 for those doing combined science.
- Recommended text books / revision guides to supplement course:
CGP New Grade 9-1 GCSE Combined Science: AQA Revision Guide for combined science, CGP Workbooks ( includes exam style questions) are also available.
- Recommended web sites / resources to aid home learning
BBC bitesize: https://www.bbc.com/education/subjects/zrkw2hv
Free Science Lessons – https://www.freesciencelessons.co.uk/videos
Primrose Kitten- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBgvmal8AR4QIK2e0EfJwaA