The Science Department at Buttershaw School is housed in 11 purpose built laboratories. All laboratories have access to ICT facilities, there is a large well stocked prep room and technicians work hard to ensure that practical and investigative work is at the heart of our courses.
There are 12 experienced science teachers an Achievement Tutor, and two highly qualified science technicians. The department has strong links with Bradford University as aspects of A Level teaching are co-taught by university staff. Links with Bradford University enable the Science Department to prepare students well for future.
- Biology, the study of life and living things
- Chemistry, the study of chemicals and reactions
- Physics, the study of forces, electricity, space and gravity
During KS3-5 students learn about how their bodies work and how the world works around them. We combine theory and practical skills to enable pupils to leave school with an understanding of the world, together with team working skills, investigative skills, plus the ability to apply knowledge to new situations and carry out risk assessments.
Science is at the centre of every aspect of our lives and the ability to make sense of our lives and making informed decisions is essential. As well as gaining an understanding of Biology, Chemistry and Physics pupils will learn about investigative work and the use and interpretation of data.
At KS3 we teach a broad and balanced science curriculum, that includes Biology, Chemistry and Physics. The curriculum builds on knowledge gained in KS2 and deepens it in order that students have a solid foundation when moving onto their crucially important Science GCSEs. A key philosophy of the science department is the use of practical in all science lessons as it brings the subject alive and fosters students’ love of the subject. There are end-of-topic assessments plus assessed tasks within each topic and pupils are given regular feedback as to how to achieve their target levels.
Year 7 is taught in mixed ability groups, this enables the department to understand your child and their learning needs.
In years 8 and 9, students are placed in ability groupings. Placing students into ability groups enable teachers to tailor lessons to their individual needs. Maximizing student progress is at the heart of everything we do.
From September 2016 students in year 10 will take one of the following routes in science:
- AQA Double Award Science GCSE (two GCSEs covering elements of Biology, Chemistry and Physics,)
- AQA Triple Science (Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSE)
Both routes will give students access to science post 16 qualifications.
From 2017 GCSEs in science will no longer be graded
A*-G. From 2017 students will receive a grade 1-9, grade 5 or greater will be seen as a good pass. Core and Additional Science will no longer be available to students taking GCSE science after 2016.
We offer students Biology, Chemistry and A Level Physics. Each subject is taught by highly skilled specialised teachers, some of which have PhDs and Masters Degrees in their field of expertise.
At KS5 we deliver the following specifications:
Eduqas: Physics and Biology.
KS5 teachers at Buttershaw have forged strong links with specialist science teachers at Bradford University. This gives students unique access to resources and expertise, which further enhances the teaching of science and the progress that students make.
Outside of the Classroom
- We run a Science Club
- After school revision classes are held throughout the year and intensively close to major exams.
- We have taken pupils on residential visits, for example the North Yorkshire field study residential and university taster courses.
- This year we are taking students on a four day London Science residential visit.
- Mr M Hussain – Achievement Leader
- Mr Rowe – Consultant Achievement Leader
- Mr Ryan – Assistant Headteacher/Director of CE:ET
- Mr Stoker – Coach
- Mrs Eyes – Achievement Leader (Year 11)
- Mrs Zaccardelli – Achievement Leader (Year 7)
- Mr Rutherford – Progress Leader
- Mr Fergus – Progress Leader
- Dr Rashid – Progress Leader
- Mr Aslam – Progress Leader
- Mr A Hussain – STEM Academy Leader
- Mr Thornley – Teacher
- Mr Nicholl – Progress Support Leader
- Ms Foster – Senior Science Technician
- Mr Tafatatha – Science Technician
Science Achievement Leader Mr Hussain: Mozamil.Hussain@buttershaw.net