Modern Foreign Languages
- The Modern Foreign language department consists of five full-time members of staff and one part-time member of staff.
- We aim to develop resilience, confidence, team work, cultural awareness via speaking, reading, listening and writing.
- As teachers, we are driven and we want to offer our students the opportunity to discover other cultures and also ensure our students are enjoying their learning and are making outstanding progress throughout the years.
- We offer French, German and Spanish at BBEC. Every two years, our students will either be learning a combination of either French and Spanish or French and German.
- Students will be learning the same language all the way up to Year 10 at which point they begin sitting their GCSE exams.
- We teach Year 7 in mixed-ability groups.
- From Year 8 to Year 10, pupils are placed into sets and all pupils are assessed regularly to monitor their progress and make sure our students are catered for accordingly.
- At the end of Year 8, we will offer to our most able students, the opportunity to choose a second language as an option.
- As far as possible, there is continuity of teaching from the beginning of Y9 until the end of Y10 ( from Year 7 if possible). Continuity is key in MFL.
- In the department, we use a variety of resources to make lessons enjoyable, interesting, captivating, kinesthetic and challenging.
Outside of the Classroom
- The Department organizes relevant trip to France, Germany and this year we are organizing a trip to Spain (Barcelona).
- Every year, we take 40 students (from Year 7 to year 10) abroad for a memorable experience.
- The department has also hired a theatrical group to perform a play in Spanish, French and German to our students.
- We also encourage reading for pleasure and have a selection of books in the target language.
- Ms H Lahcene, Achievement Leader of MFL
- Mrs R Wright, MFL teacher and Head of Sixth Form
- Mr D Simpson, MFL teacher
Ms H Lahcene
Achievement Leader of MFL